Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Little sub-points a and b

Hello friend,

I don't doubt that you have an image of your self in your mind.
That image can shift at a moments notice, turning into something unexpected or pleasant given the circumstances.... but its your own image.

I've been thinking a lot recently on how to view yourself in a godly light... what does it mean to be made in His image? How should that influence my actions? How am I to stare into the big brown eyes of my reflection and see myself as He wants me to see myself?

We're all created differently... different strengths, different weaknesses, different dreams, different mistakes... just different.
I am not the same as my roommate, who is quite and curious.
I'm not the same as my best friend, who has a way of gently, yet bluntly, stating the obvious.
I'm not the same as other friends, who possess many different gifts that God has blessed them with.
But you already know that...

I'm Ali... I like white cheddar cheetos and writing.
I forgive others easier than most, and have been given the gift of encouragement and the loyalty of a golden retriever.
I find myself defining my moods through the songs I listen to... and I don't really appreciate or like running around difficult and/or ridiculous situations; I like things short, simple and to the point.
I learn by doing and seeing.
I've made more than my share of mistakes... I've been foolish and unnecessarily ignorant. I've trusted when I shouldn't have... forgiven and befriended when I should have forgiven and kept away... and I still cry over missing those whom I love that are not really in my life like they used to be.
I'm learning to be more in-your-face... as its what my potential future requires of me... and honestly, I'm loving every minute of it.
I like playing card games, and sometimes Monopoly.... and I love running around outside.
The whole world knows when I'm excited... and I feel smart when I read the New York Times.
I find myself consistently re-reading the same books in the Bible, and they never cease to speak God's knowledge into my soul.
I write down everything, and I remember numbers better than anything else.

I don't know how to correctly view myself...
All I know is I don't want to be swayed. I feel I'm swayed more often than I really should be... and it's infuriating.
Who I am should give me roots... and I don't want to be undefined or shallowly rooted.
I'm fighting for this, and I'll fight till I've either bled to death or conquered.

What defines me?
Is it what I do, or who I think I am?
Nah... those are just little sub-points a and b.
I'm finding as I open my heart up more and more to God, I am exactly who I need and want to be.
Its beautiful.

1 comment:

Kevin and Pam said...

Ali,I just love the way you write. I can tell it comes from your heart. You are a beautiful intelligent girl. I am sure God defines you as perfect in His eyes!